A Stockman's Gift A Legacy For Waikato

Author(s): Rosalind McClean

NZ North Island | SECONDHAND

Dan Bryant was a man of faith. He stipulated that his biographer especially note a ‘special clause’ in the Bryant House Trust's Deed of Gift - “...the Donor is desirous of declaring that he disclaims all credit for the foundation of this Trust the institution of which he attributes to the over-ruling guidance of Almighty God”.


 

$42.50(NZD)

Available Stock:
2

Add to Cart

Click & Collect


Add to Wishlist


Product Information

 


1921


Successful farmer and livestock dealer, Dan Bryant announces his intention to give half his wealth and most of his energy to the establishment and maintenance of a children's convalescent home in Raglan.


1924


The Bryant Convalescent Home for Children opens, under the governance of the Bryant House Trust Board, effectively pioneering children's health camps in New Zealand.


1928


Bryant starts providing hospitality to "tired mothers" via homestays in Raglan and at Mount Maunganui.


1948


Dan's wife Mary Bryant dies.  Dan establishes Mary Bryant Trust and opens a residential nursery in Thackeray Street for babies and toddlers whose mothers need a break.


1950s


Bryant House Hospitality Scheme allows women to have a break at Bryant Convalescent Home whilst the children weren't in residence.


1955


Bryant House Trust Board purchases a house in Cliff Street, Raglan to run as a Women's Rest Home.


1960


The DV Bryant Trust is established.


1962


Dan Bryant dies.  Under the guidance of astute Chairman Don Arcus (Dan Bryant's son in law) and its highly efficient and long-serving Executive Secretary Ashley Taylor, the DV Bryant Trust prospers through the judicious sale of the remaining 200+ acres of the Bryant family farm at Te Rapa adjacent to the Waikato River and Hamilton Golf Club.  Over nearly three decades from the early 1960s land was subdivided into residential and industrial blocks.  Street names in the Pukete/Te Rapa area bear witness to the Bryant legacy.


1963


DV Bryant Trust purchases land on the corner of Alexandra and Collingwood Streets which housed Findlay's Bakery, the first of a number of commercial property ventures undertaken by the Trust over subsequent years.  Commercial property and investments now generate a substantial part of the income for the Trust's activities.


1964


DV Bryant Trust opens new, purpose-built Rest Home for Women on the corner of Cliff and James Streets, Raglan.


1965


DV Bryant Trust starts regularly distributing some of its surplus income to a variety of welfare agencies and community organisations.  Also monies from the land sales are put towards the construction of Bryant Hall (a student hall of residence at the University of Waikato) and Bryant Village, a retirement community in St Andrews Hamilton, no longer in operation.


1966


Bryant Convalescent Home for children closes, after providing rest and recreation to more than 10,000 men, women and children.  Bryant House Trust Board is dis-established.


1970


Bryant Memorial Scholarships introduced to pay school fees for secondary students.


1974


Residential nursery closes.  Mary Bryant Trust is dis-established.


1987


DV Bryant Trust builds Vero House, where its offices and board room are now located.


1990s


DV Bryant helps fund the University of Waikato's Academy of Performing Arts Centre and the Bryant Education Centre at Waikato Hospital.


2002


DV Bryant Trust helps develop the 'Te Ara Hou' Social Service Village and Abbeyfield House.


2003


Rest Home for Women is re-named as the Bryant Retreat.  The Trust gifts Bryant Hall to the University of Waikato and establishes the Bryant Scholarships Funds.


2006


DV Bryant helps develop the DV Bryant Enliven Centre, (built on part of the former Bryant Village site in St Andrews).

General Fields

  • : 9780473121266
  • : bryantdv
  • : bryantdv
  • : 250x180mm
  • : books

Special Fields

  • : Hardback
  • : 1
  • : Very Good
  • : 351pp
  • : BxW photographs
  • : Rosalind McClean